Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Meet Our #GWHAmbassadors: Tara Moya-Mendez Becker


Name:  Tara Moya-Mendez Becker


Hometown/Current Home: Born and raised in Rock Hill, SC.  I briefly lived in the coastal region of SC and also northern FL before coming back to Rock Hill.

What chapter are you an Ambassador for?: South Carolina!




How long have you been apart of Girls Who Hike for?: 8 months (give or take)

How did you find the Girls Who Hike organization?:  Completely by chance!  You know when you're searching through Facebook and you just "happen" upon things? Well, I happened upon the Girls Who Hike North Carolina page shortly after they were created.  I followed along with the page and became so inspired! When the South Carolina page was finally created I'm pretty sure I was one of the first to join!

What made you want to become a Girls Who Hike Ambassador?:  "I can do that. And I can do it well." That was my thought when I first saw the ambassador application. It was a chance to better myself as a person while still doing something I love.  I also loved the idea of being able to meet people who shared my same interests.  Improving my people skills, my leadership skills, and my health at the same time? Yes, please!

How did you get into hiking?: I grew up car camping almost every summer.  Gradually as I got older, I explored more into hiking (mainly as a source of exercise).  It wasn't until I met my now husband that I really got into the magic that is hiking.  Together, he and I explored many of the Carolina's trails, and just recently began taking yearly trips abroad to explore the world.
  




What's your favorite thing about spending time in the outdoors?: Can I say everything??? I love the feeling I get from being outdoors, whether it's just for a few minutes or several days.  It's like a mental/physical refreshment.  I also love the ever-changing weather.  Give me sunshine or rain, clouds or sky.  Ninety degrees or freezing temps, whatever!  Mother nature has me in awe all the time.  Lastly, I love the memories made out on the trails.  Most of my favorite memories have been made in the great outdoors!

List three things you can't go hiking without: Besides the essentials of course, these are my top 3: 
  1. chapstick
  2. phone (used for a camera mostly and a live map tracker)
  3. camping hammock
What do you love the most about being a Girls Who Hike Ambassador?: The sense of belonging.  It's a dark world out there, but if you find the right people, the world seems a whole lot brighter 🌞








No comments:

Post a Comment